Wednesday, September 1, 2021

LONG TIME NO SEE

Have I mentioned lately that I miss teaching?
That I miss my classroom, but especially that I miss the kids?
Well I still do.

Recently I sent a shout out and hugs to a former art student seen here,
Yusuf Karan,
through our Biology teacher (here) Aileen Perry.
I'm teaching the Fiber Arts to Aileen and sometimes her sister Suzanne every Tuesday nite
(been doing this for over a year now)
and it's really helped me transition into retirement.
She keeps me abreast of all the happenings at the school and updates on the students.

But back to Yusuf.
I taught him in the 7th and 8th grade (Art Wheel and Beginning 3-D Art),
and he left a lasting impression on me.
So much so that when Aileen told me she was working with him this year I exclaimed,
"OMG, I love Yusuf!"
Turns out she does too.
When she passed on my message to him this week,
 he told her he couldn't believe I remembered him. 
The kids are funny, 
they so don't get what a wonderful, lasting impression they leave on your heart.  
Even the talkative ones, right Yusuf!  
Ha ha
So Yusuf,
this post is for you!
I'm pretty sure you are starting your Junior year at Whitney
and I couldn't be prouder of you.
What I remember the most about you is your sweet, positive attitude
and your hard-working effort that you put into your art pieces.
And how you encouraged your classmates to do their best,
and freely gave them compliments when they did.
You encouraged and inspired,
can't wait to see where those characteristics will take you.  
Keep in touch young man!
Sending you a big virtual hug!
xoxoxo

 

5 comments:

  1. it has been 12 years since I was in a classroom ... and yes, I still remember the names, the faces, the wonders of my students ... you will always carry them in your heart, but better yet is your record of them here ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny isn't it Liz how powerfully your students impact you? And as I look back, I've had a few really challenging kids to deal with that at the time pretty much ruined my year, but as I look back now, all is forgiven and I'm so curious to see how they've turned out and what they are up to. I've actually had a few of these "bad apples" contact me years later and apologize for the hard times they gave me. Little do they know I forgave them all a long time ago, and that they helped make me a better teacher.

      Delete
    2. I remember most the ones with tears in their eyes ...

      Delete
  2. I've been missing being with kids, and their stories, more than usual lately. Maybe it's because it's September? Or the coming empty nest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, I so agree, September has become very difficult for me too.

      Delete