Wednesday, September 22, 2021

A FEW E-MAILS LATER

A few of you e-mailed and asked for the directions to stitch the Shibori flag with. 
 I looked back thru my photos and found a picture of it.
To get two different value ranges on the front side of fabric,
I running stitched the star area on the front of piece,
 then I flipped piece over and stitched striped area from the back side.
And if you've never tried Shibori,
 you then pull as tightly as you can on each of the doubled threads and knot them along design edge.
It will look something like this below.
I then went into my indigo vat,
but you could go into any natural or commercial dye you have available.
I believe I dipped this at least 3 times into the indigo vat,
rinsed and ironed it,
 then ran it thru my washing machine with my darks and into the dryer.
Of course I used 100 % cotton from an old sheet (garage sale find).
The older sheets are easier to stitch thru.
And of course I wash them in my hottest water with a bit of bleach to get them sparkly clean first.
Don't want any cooties.
Ha ha

3 comments:

  1. I just blew through your "shibori" links ... so, so, so much to see and to consider ... what a treasure trove that I can return to again and again ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just for you Liz I will try to post more of the pieces and projects we created in our Tues. night class.

      Delete