Monday, April 20, 2020

A NEW DISCOVERY

OKAN ARTS
Creative Quilting and Japanese Textile Shop

Co-owners and designers,
 mother and daughter team Patricia Belyea and Victoria Stone run Okan Arts,
a delicious Quilt Shop in the Seattle,Washington area.
They specialize in importing vintage Japanese textiles and also leading fiber tours to Japan.
They also carry the coolest new machine on the market which gives a handquilted stitch look.
It's called a Sashiko 2 by Baby Lock.
I'm in love!

You might be familiar with Patricia's quilt book East-Meets-West.
I have just added her blog to my list of Artists I Follow.
I'm really enjoying perusing thru her blog and also doing a bit of shopping in the online store.
Patricia also holds a retreat every year to teach her East-Meets-West style
in a fabulous venue in Wisconsin.
I can't quite remember how I found this shop or perhaps it found me.
I do know I have loved Japanese Quilts for many years now,
especially the work of Yoko Saito.
Yoko is a quiltmaker famous for her taupe favored fabrics she uses.
I own two of her books and really enjoy watching her demos on YouTube.
But before I found Yoko I found the work of Contemporary Japanese Quiltmakers
which is super graphic in nature.
When I see it it's like an injection of pure joy and happiness.
Some of it can be quite minimal which I especially enjoy,
while other works are so incredibly complex you can't even imagine the time and skill 
it would take to create something so exceptional.
Check some out if you haven't had a chance to.
A good place is Patricia's blog,
a sampling:

The Tokyo Quilt Festival 2020






3 comments:

  1. too too tempting for words ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Debra for writing about Okan Arts and our love of all things Japanese!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So great to hear from you Patricia, I was just thinking about you yesterday and that I didn't get back to you about the wonderful sewing machine sale. Sadly I will have to pass right now. I just had several trees trimmed at our cabin (the cost of the machine), so just trying to deal with more practical priorities first. I'm so glad you got to see the blog post about your shop. I have a great blog friend and quilter who lives up in your area, her name is Hazel Montes. I'll have to ask her if she's ever been to your shop, I know she's love it. She has a wonderful blogsite if you want to take a peak at www.handstories.typepad.com Best,Deb

      Delete