Thursday, March 12, 2020

BABIES IN THE GARDEN

Recently the tiniest nest appeared out of nowhere in my miniature Magnolia tree on our patio.
Even though I go outside almost everyday to watch my plants grow
and to see what's new in the garden,
I didn't even see the mama hummingbird building her nest.
Would have loved watching that!
She laid two eggs and sat on them almost constantly for a good two weeks.
She didn't like me climbing on the patio chair to peer into her nest,
but I did it anyways.
Even my husband was getting mad at me,
telling me to leave her alone.
But I wanted to see the babies so badly when they were first born. 
Here they are above.
Two days old,
It's hard to see them but their tiny beaks are facing to the left at about 8:30.
And here they are at about one week old.
They grew so very fast.
I didn't peek for another week because of the awful weather we were having,
and when I did they were gone.
I was so devastated,
I had no idea they could fly at such a young age,
so I googled them and found out they don't usually fly till about 26 days old.
Oh no,
did something terrible happen to them?
We don't have any cats in the neighborhood,
 but we do have coyotes that come into our complex some nights,
but that's a rarity.
We had a ferocious wind and rain storm the week I didn't go out and check on them.
Perhaps that were blown out of their nest then?
I will always remember them,
so very helpless.

I'm leaving the nest there for next year 
hoping that either the mama or one of her babies will remember it and return.
Not sure if they do that.
Any thoughts/ideas on the matter??

2 comments:

  1. all I know (and it's not much) is that birdhouses should be thoroughly cleaned each year so that the birds will return to build new nests ... if this is true of hummingbird nests, I hope you will be able to save the nest as a memory keeper ... perhaps to be placed each year in your Christmas tree

    your pictures are incredible ... your story tragic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard that before about cleaning birdhouses, no wonder the few I have up at cabin, the birds never returned the next year. I will clean them well. thank you Liz as always.

      Delete