Sunday, October 27, 2019

STASH BUSTER UPDATE

Nine years ago when I moved into my new husbands beautifully appointed home,
he had this striking oil hanging over his couch.
It stills hangs there over a very masculine leather sofa.
To soften the look a bit I felt that I needed to add a knit throw.

So I began this lap throw after taking an improvisational knitting workshop 
with knit star Valentina Devine. 
I first became acquainted with her in the gorgeous coffee table book 
Knitting in America.
Valentia lives in Los Alamos, New Mexico and her background is fascinating. 

I have always knitted! Born in Russia and growing up in Germany, I can remember knitting all sorts of things from doll clothes to small garments for myself. In the early eighties I became a life-time member of the Torpedo Factory Art Center in Alexandria Virginia. There I exhibited knitted one-of-a-kind garments and wall hangings. For the Folger Theater I knitted costumes for Macbeth. At the same time I started teaching a technique “Creative Knitting” and I continue to the present day. I have also knitted two major costumes for the road show of “CATS”; Deuteronomy and Gus, The Theater Cat. Some of my knitted garments have been chosen for the movie industry. I now enjoy designing for different publications. I have been a contributor to many knitting books and publications. As time went on I have added to the courses I teach. I now teach six different techniques. I show my art-to-wear garments in different boutiques throughout the United States. I cannot imagine not knitting and I hope to continue to inspire many more knitters here and abroad.

In 2011 I was able to get this far
which I posted about in March of that year here on the blog,
but then I lost interest and put it away
 and finally took it out this last week and have started knitting on it again.

I took it up to the cabin this weekend and have almost finished off that bottom row.

Please note!
I have not blocked this yet.
And it's all over the place lumpy bumpy and wavy.
I will tame it eventually when completely done.

I still have so many stash yarns to bust thru so I'm going to lengthen and widen 
and then probably put several borders around it.
At least that's my plan right now.
But knowing me I will get distracted with another project
 and this will wait another 8 years for me to pull it out again.
Ha!!!

Speaking of that,
headed out tomorrow morning for a 2 1/2 hour drive up to Ojai
(inland from Santa Barbara but above Ventura)
to a new crafts shop called Cattywampus Crafts for a knit-a-long.
Going to be starting a cute little v-neck cardigan with all handspuns (some mine)
knit on size 17 needles.
Can hardly wait.

Poor little throw.
LOL

4 comments:

  1. a most marvelous patchwork in knit ... perhaps it will be a perpetual project ... the better to enjoy the process

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a relaxing project, so nice to bring it out now and then.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. How wonderful to hear from you Judy! I adore your current art quilt that you recently posted. I just wonder how many hrs a day do you spend working on your pieces? Now that I'm retired I can't seem to make myself work on my pieces unless all housework and gardening is done.

      Delete