Monday, August 28, 2017

A SURPRISE VISITOR

I like to try and have fresh flowers in my classroom,
from my or our school gardens,
 flowers the kids bring me (cuz they know I love them)
or maybe ones I buy for myself, 
just because   :)
I dry them out to be recycled in our eco-dye units,
or as added embellishments for class assignments.
Well two days before school started 
I went to our school's rose garden to see what I could find.
I cut several roses and put them into a bucket of water to take them back to my classroom.
Unbeknownst to me,
I had a passenger along for the ride.
This ginormous Praying Mathis.
I couldn't believe I hadn't seen him,
and that he could easily have crawled right onto me.
But there he was,
ready for class to begin.
I know how wonderful they are for your garden,
so I was determined to get him to one ASAP.
No class today young man.
I took that bucket that the roses were in and a piece of paper
 and sort of scooped him in.
Then placed the paper over top until I could rush him out.
It took me three tries because he jumped out twice.
And I didn't want to hurt him.
But he wasn't scared,
more curious.
I took him to the Succulent Garden next to my classroom 
and he hopped right onto a Jade Plant.
Home Sweet Home.
Phew Shuuuu.
Talk about a close call!

4 comments:

  1. i love Them. So willing to engage, even tho our differences. They will
    never harm a human....it's as you say...curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This guy was so interested in what was going on, almost human!

      Delete
  2. I do like creatures who look back at you and seem trusting (I know, anthropomorphizing) ... praying mantises, anoles, Carolina wrens, and even (sometimes) road runners.

    ReplyDelete