Saturday, June 29, 2024

ON A 2 DAY POSTING ROLL, ha ha!

Even though I'm rarely present on my blog anymore,
I've been busy cranking out knit projects that I started but never finished.
I'm trying hard not to allow myself to start something new
till I finish long forgotten projects which is incredibly hard for me.
This shawl was started many months ago to learn some new knitting tricks.
Fading contrasting colors, pointy scalloped edges,
 plus more lace work then I usually do.
I can't tell you how many times I messed up the pattern and had to frog back before I could move forward again.
It was so good for my brain.
Above is a picture of how I block my pieces with tons of sharp pins
and a special squishy board after I soak/wash the finished piece.
This locks in all the loose ends as well 
as stretches out the work to show off the stitch pattern.
After removing pins it's pretty much holding it's shape.
This is a kit I found on a new site to me called Ranching Traditions Fiber
located in Montana.
The kits comes with a lovely skein of wool yarn (you pick the color).
It's called Roots in the Valley and the pattern is housed in the sweetest booklet.  
It also comes with a wooden shawl pin
 that I can't seem to find anymore.  Ugg!
However,
I didn't use the yarn because I wanted to use up some of my handspun stash.
I thought I had enough yardage to finish the shawl
 but sadly ran out 3/4 of the way thru.
But I love challenges like this.  
It forces me to think outside the box.
I had some leftover Malabrigo Worsted which was about the same diameter
so I ripped out a couple of inches and faded it in.
Again more frogging!!
The fading was trickier then I've done before 
because the colors contrasted so much,
 and I had to cheat and go back after I finished the piece
 and weave in some more lines to help it fade more smoothly.
The beige handspun is wool with some small pieces of silk spun 
to bring in a touch of color.
I recently gifted it to a dear long lost cousin that I just reconnected with,
 and am asking for her to send a pix of her wearing it.
Hopefully coming tomorrow in an email.
And here she is, 
my lovely cousin Susan wearing the shawl.
I think it looks perfect on her and am so very happy I gifted it to her.
Susan is from my father's side of the family 
and lives with her family outside of Salt Lake City.
I haven't seen her or her mother Georgie Lou since my mother's funeral in 2013.
It's been way too long!
I'm so glad she reached out to me and came to visit.
Susan and her twin Karen are such lovely gentle souls.
Now it's up to me to pay all of them a visit.
So Utah,
here I come.


No comments:

Post a Comment