Saturday, May 18, 2024

WE MISS YOU MARY

Happy Mother's day to one of my favorites,
my daughter-in-law's mother and my dear friend,
 Mary.

It's been two years now since she passed but it still seems like yesterday.
Her image is still so very clear in my mind.
A very beautiful woman both inside and out, 
with a wonderfully fiery spirit and personality.

I believe I remember that her son choose what to put on her tombstone 
and it captures her so perfectly.
And her daughter chose the images around the words.  
Again so very perfect, 
and a great tribute and send off for Mary.

The flowers are from her daughter's and my son's backyard garden.
Some are California natives (Poppies, Rockrose, and Salvia),
 and other delights that are more common 
like Geraniums, Dutch Iris, Carnations and Roses. 

These pictures are from our recent visit with lovely balmy weather.
 Mary is located in the most gorgeous and historical California surroundings,
the Santa Susana Mountains in an area called Rocky Peak Park 
where they filmed many a Western movie back in the day.
If you enlarge this last picture 
you can see the fabulous rock formations which are perfect for climbing.  
In fact there is a popular trail there that the kids want to take me climbing thru.
  They say it isn't too hard for this older lady.
Huh!
My knees get weak just looking at it.

5 comments:

  1. A heart-felt tribute … the needle and thread image on the marker caught my eye … rock rose and salvia are right outside my window as I write this … smiling ruefully, wondering how we might be remembered someday

    ReplyDelete
  2. A heart-felt tribute … the needle and thread image on the marker caught my eye … rock rose and salvia are right outside my window as I write this … smiling ruefully, wondering how we might be remembered someday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz, sorry to be so tardy getting back to you. And yes, the needle and thread were an absolute eye catcher for me as well the first time I saw the marker. I'd say the only thing missing is some kind of fish swimming thru the marker for her deep love of maintaining a huge salt water fish tank. She was so many things to so many people and I still miss her so much. Her husband had us all up to their lovely home yesterday for a Memorial Day pool party/barbeque. He is trying so hard to maintain her front and back yard plus making it into his own. He has built a raised bed veggie garden, re-plastered the pool to turn it into a huge shelf for his grandchildren as well as a volleyball pool. 4 ft. all the way across. The younger crowd had so much fun in it yesterday while I got to sit and hold lil' Easton. 7 months old now with so much personality. He is almost swimming himself. His mom has him in infant swim lessons. Nick has also put in several grape vines, a new patio cover plus he is building a cool arbor for his side yard and all the vines he has planted. I was so impressed. When Mary was alive the only thing he did was mow the lawn. Ha ha. He has taken down her entire crafts room and turned it into a bedroom for his grands (they live in Dallas). And found homes for Mary's 3 cats. It definitely feels more like him now but I still can feel Mary's presence thru all the pictures he left up as well as a few of her precious quilts she made. But it's so hard for all of us. And he, his daughter and son are still grieving. I know it took me at least 10 years to finally get over loosing my dear mother. Oh how she would have loved Easton!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely post and tribute to your dear friend. She is indeed in a beautiful spot. I adore that area at the North end of Topanga Canyon. We used to go to Chatsworth Park when I was a kid. such a magical place. Her marker is so unique and it seems like it reflects her so well. To be so loved and then missed is a gift to all. May her family move through their grief with ease and may her memory be a blessing. ~Nancy

    ReplyDelete