Sunday, February 27, 2022

SPIRIT CLOTH INSPIRED

If you haven't had a chance to enroll in any Jude Hill stitch classes,
I really recommend Patchwork Beasts.
Jude of whirled wide Spirit Cloth fame is listed to the right under Artist's I Follow.
Love all her classes,
most of which I've taken over the years,
but it's her beasts faces that are so fun to play with.
Her drawings and watercolors of their faces in her on-line class are whimsical
and offer a lot of ideas to choose from.
I believe this is my 2nd attempt.
My first one can be seen here.
Jude is a wonderful teacher and I've learned so very much from her,
and her blog still continues to inspire and delight everyday.
So thank you Jude!

In our Tues. Nite Fiber Arts class,
we did a bunch of eco-dyeing about  year and a half ago.
Above are the pieces drying out.
We experimented with lots flowers, leaves, fruits & vegies for their dye properties.

After the pieces were opened, washed and ironed it was time to learn a few embroidery stitches along with needle turn applique.
Dang, 
this close up really shows my very messy embroidery.
Whoops!

Anyways...
We only used thin white and off white perle cotton threads to embroider with
which we had placed inside our bundled fabrics so they too absorbed the dyes.
Kinds of fabrics were thrifted linens, cottons and silk.

Each of us choose something different to fill our applique opening with.
I wanted to try another beast face.
Using Jude's famous invisible tacking stitch,
the face was attached to a contrasting piece of dyed cotton. 
I like to thrift really soft, 
old white bed sheets that have been washed many times.
Makes it much more easy to slide the needle thru.

Knowing I wanted to log cabin around the beast,
 here experimenting with several pieces of dyed, torn strips.

Then more stitching to secure/quilt over top,
a few vintage buttons and a twig complete the beast.
Oh,
in one of Jude's first classes I took,
she demoed how to easily fray the edges of the fabrics for a very cool edge.
I love the texture it adds.

A super fun project.

7 comments:

  1. I will always wish I could be a part of your Tuesday gatherings, but I'm pretty sure a move to California isn't in the cards ...

    love how that bright yellow quieted down once it was nested with the other dyed bits of cloth ... and yes to all things Jude Hill ... my favorite class continues to be Spirit Cloth 101, with Considering Weave coming in a close second ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, you took Considering Weave too? Loved that class and the sweet pieces she created in it! Did you do any weavings along with her? If so, would love to see them.

      Delete
    2. be careful what you wish for ... ha!

      here's a link to the Considering Weave posts on my original blog ... lots of other stuff folded in with them of course, but that's me being me ...

      https://imgoingtotexas.blogspot.com/search?q=%22considering+weave%22

      Delete
    3. What an incredible journey it was looking back at your Considering Weave. Funny, I was trying to remember when we first hooked up on our blogs because I don't remember any of those posts I just looked at. Or maybe my memory is fading...a lot! Loved how the leaves shrink and faded over time and your shell was my favorite. What a wonderful loom! And I always love seeing who was able to scoop up a piece of Jude's or Grace's work. I own two from each and look at them everyday. There are so many ideas swirling in my head but so little time. But I am curious to see if I can find a perfect shell for a loom. I have a huge collection from when my kids were younger and we'd go to the beach every Wed. during the summer months. Such great memories that I've managed to hold onto. Ha! Could never throw those precious pieces away, along with the beach glass.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was the very first class that I took from Jude, a life-changer! Really like the intricate circle of stitches around your face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jude changed my life as well Hazel. I've actually lost track of all the classes I've taken from her. I first found her in a national fiber arts magazine. I think it was Quilting Arts, and I'd never seen anything like her work before. I was enthralled and completely in her spell. he truly makes magic happen, just like you! xo

      Delete