Monday, February 8, 2021

2019 ALUMNI LINA KIM

It's been a long while since I've posted any student art, 
and these pieces were created over a year ago and have been waiting for me to put up.
Sorry Lina for taking so long to get to them.
But I'm also thinking it was worth the wait because they are fabulous!

I adore the slit she built into the side of this torso.
And the beasts look so very natural which is extremely difficult to achieve in sculpture
as all my Ceramics II students have found out. 
Lina is at a small private research U in Cleveland, Ohio
 (my mother's hometown was Garfield Heights),
called Chase Western University where she is finding the classes engaging and fascinating.
All of these pieces were made in her first semester there.
I found it interesting that the professor took the kids out to a local farm
 to be able to do an open air raku firing for this piece.
How fun and very cool!

I think this next one is beyond remarkable for one so young.
What Lina,
19 years old?
You are such an old soul.
Lina told me this one took the longest of all the ones I'm sharing.
I can see why,
it's just lovely as well as being highly difficult to handbuild!
I also really like how you glazed it with the pinky-purple accents.
Was that an oxide brushed over the glaze?

This next one was the easiest she said made for a platter assignment.
Again,
I like how you glazed it with the overlapped turquoise. 

And this is Lina's second Rainstick.
She learned to make one in my Ceramics II class when she was a senior,
and she told me that both the other students as well as the professor
 were super impressed with this technique and the sound it made after firing.
Another very difficult piece to build,
but so worth the effort.

And this last one was the first piece she made at Chase.
The assignment was to build a stemmed vessel.
She added additional sculptural elements to the vessel which I bet pleased her professor.
The fluid waves create movement and forces the eye to circle around the pot.
You are an amazing designer and craftswoman Lina,
thank you for sharing these pieces and allowing me to post them.
I'm so very proud of you!!
Btw,
what's your major anyways??
Let us know, 
and please send more pix from your second semester.

6 comments:

  1. I would be beyond thrilled to have any one of these pieces in my home ... the details are so carefully observed and wrought, the glazes so well-matched to each piece

    the torso-in-hand is beyond brilliant ... the colors giving it a desert-reality ... the ribs and folds of flesh so subtly sculpted ... the shoulders thrown back, giving the piece a lift that leaves me imagining the strength of the spine that supports the whole

    if ever Lina creates an online shop, I hope you will post the link ... although how she could let any of these go I can't imagine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so hope Lina reads this comment Liz, I will let her know so that she might contact you.

      Delete
  2. What a talented young woman! You must be so proud of her--and of many of your other former students. Congratulations, Debra, on your remarkable talent for bringing out the talent of others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Jen, Lina was probably one of the top 10 most gifted of all the students I've ever worked with. She is one of those that excels at everything she does. I can't even imagine how she managed to choose one major in college. She is also a virtuoso on the violin and has performed at Carnegie Hall when she was 16 or 17. But it still amazes me at what she is capable of in clay. Thank you for sending your comment. She will be delighted!

      Delete
  3. I´m very bad at making keramics but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Selma, so wonderful to hear from you, and so glad you like Lina's work! Thank you for taking the time to comment.

      Delete