Friday, February 16, 2018

A REAL BIG MIX

MIXED MEDIA ON HANDMADE PAPER
ADVANCED 3-D ART
handmade paper, vintage  dyed fabrics, machine & hand stitch, pencil, watercolor & handspun yarn

A lot of ingredients went in to this piece inspired by the works of British Artist
I found her on Face Book a few years ago and very much liked what she was doing at the time,
so I purchased one of her pieces.
Note: if you go to her website now she has moved in a different direction.
Anyways,
I brought the piece into my classroom last year for my students to see
 and both seniors Shreya and Jacq loved her work.
So I asked if they would like to try something similar on one of the larger handmade papers
 they were pulling at the time.
YES!!
Here are the results.

This first one was done by Jacqueline Yu.
I especially like the machine stitching she did,
and how her non-objective subject looks a bit like a cross.
or maybe a witch's profile.



And next is Shreya Sheth.
I don't know if you can see that the texture of each of their handmade papers is a bit different,
but Jacq's is smooth and Shreya's textural.
Both girls had cool deckled edges on their paper 
and of course I loved that Shreya incorporated a bit of her hand spun yarn.

4 comments:

  1. As always, I love seeing the work Jacqueline and Shreya did with you last year ... what an amazing output! And Shreya's handspun is a dead ringer for Jude's magic thread.

    So I did go to Deeanne Rieves website and she has indeed moved into a different sphere ... but a Google image search led to much of her past work on Pinterest (which is also where I found Jude). Well worth a look as it makes clear where you and your students were heading with this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do really enjoy the beautiful color that Deeanne is putting into her new work, but it's become so simplified, no vintage linens, no handstitching, etc. Wish she would return to her previous style.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Susan! I think the girls really enjoyed this assignment.

      Delete