Saturday, January 7, 2017

VALUES COUNT IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE

VALUE SCALES
7TH GRADE ART WHEEL - 1ST QUARTER- 2016-2017
graphite on paper with colored pencil accents

It's that time of year again to introduce you to my new batch of 7th graders.
It never ceases to amaze me the amount of creative talent & innate skills 
many of these kids come in with from their Elementary Schools.

The assignment:
to shade in 5 values of gray in graphite,
plus a white and black on either end
& to use good craftsmanship & effort.
Using colored pencil accents is an extra credit op.
I never grade on creativity,
but I do show many examples to the kids (both good & bad) 
and talk about drawing to the edge of the paper, 
or putting in borders to help balance a piece.
I also demonstrate different ways to use your pencil,
and show how to use the paper stump for blending which is optional.

Allison Lee impressed me with her sunset and use of layering with her colored pencils.

I also liked Katelyn Caneda's martini glass.
And check out how she bent the straw.

This next one by Katherine Chen was interesting with the head floating amongst the clouds.

But I was most impressed with this next one by Shivani Kedila.
Awesome design!

And the class favorite was this last one by Jason Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment