Thursday, January 26, 2017

TAKING THE PLUNGE

EXTRA CREDIT
CERAMICS I
potter's wheel & clay

These brave young pups are giving the potter's wheel a try for their very first time.
Here are junior Simi Doshi and sophomore Olivia Krueger centering their clay.
For my Ceramics I kids, 
the potter's wheel is not a requirement,
it's an extra credit op. if they can make a pot,
but they had to have finished their current assignment required assignment first.
However,
in Ceramics II it is a requirement to learn how to throw.
Senior Sarah Chang starts next Monday.
I demonstrate the wheel for my beginners about 3 weeks into the First Quarter,
and then the brave ones usually give it a try.
But it's a really hard global skill to learn,
and sadly they have not tried again.
So it looks like it's time for me to demo. again to get their interest back up.

Here are the proud creators of the two beauties on the bat.
Seniors Marjorie Balaoro and Brian Aguirre-Hernandez actually were able to get something resembling a pot for their first time.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I remember trying to coordinate kicking the wheel and steadying hands on clay. I gave up too easily, but a good friend persisted. She made a beautiful pot for our wedding and I treasure it to this day!

    ReplyDelete