Thursday, April 18, 2013

Recently Harvested

I've loved grapefruits since I was a little girl and my mother would cut one in half, cut into wedges and sprinkle sugar on top.  Of course she had this special grapefruit spoon to eat it with, which I still use today.  So several years ago when our beloved Jake, the dog, passed away, my son and I planted a grapefruit tree in the back yard to remember him with.  This tree just never took off until this year.  I just picked my first 2 fruits off this tree.  So here's to you Jakey Boy!

(the few fruits that were left and getting bigger in late Summer 2012) 

Then last spring 2012,  Jim and I bought a very small grapefruit tree (above) to put on our sunny balcony and it was loaded with blooms.  But then the Santa Anas came and blew a large majority of those away.  But enough survived that I was able to pick 5 fruits off this tree as well.  Now mind you, they look like hell, but boy oh boy were these 7 grapefruits (counting Jake's) delicious!  I didn't even have to put sugar on top.  They were all the Ruby Red variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment