Saturday, December 8, 2012

Illustrator Sylvia Long at Chemers Gallery

Last weekend a few of my students for extra credit, and Jim and I went to Chemers Gallery in Tustin, Ca. to check out their 21st Annual Children's Book Signing Event.  They had 6 major childrren's illustrators on hand with their books, and each artist had their own table for signing.  The place was packed with grandmother's doing their Xmas shopping, and I was right there with them. 
I bought illustrator Sylvia Long's Thumbelina for my step-grandaughter Kenzie,
and was able to have her sign it and get my pix taken with her.

But the best part was seeing her original illustrations in person from her Thumbelina book.  This one was my favorite.  It depicts Thumbelina with her drop spindle, spinning yarn.  What a beautiful illustration!
And check out the price.  Yes indeedy, you can make money with your art young grasshoppers.  LOL 
And while we are talking about Thumbelina's handspuns, looky here, some of my students handspun yarns waiting for me to grade them.  Many of these yarns my kids dyed themselves with food color then steamed them in the microwave.  We will be using them in our next project, handwoven bird's nests.  So stay tuned. 

1 comment:

  1. what a lovely illustration! and the handspuns are delicious!

    ReplyDelete