Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Liberated Quiltmaking - My Unfinished Pieces

Yesterday in my post I mentioned that I also make a liberated quilt right alongside my students, so I can demo. on my own work and try to stay one day ahead of the kids.  Well I usually manage to stay ahead of them until the ending which is during the machine quilting phase.  It's here that I drop the ball.  So in my studio I have many unfinished pieces.  So here are a few:

The work above was the one from this school year and I really like how it worked played out in the designing phase.
This is the unfinished quilt from the 2010-2011 school year.  I always seem to be able to get myself to the pin basting step and then I fizzle out.  I like the fussy cut bird in the star's center below.  The last 2 years I seem to be elongating my designs for table toppers.
The work above was done for the 2008-2009 school year.  I was able to pick a really fun fabric bag that had a whimsical cotton print with doctors and nurses all over it.  
And this one was from 2001-2002 school year, and one of my favorites with all the kitties I fussy cut and appliqued down onto the pieced top.  It's funny, as I look back at all of these now, it seems I have a major tendency to pick bags that are mostly primary colors with black and white neutrals.  But if you were to ask me what my favorite colors are they are none of the above.  My favorite colors are in the blue-violet, magenta and turquoise families.  Weird isn't it?  

1 comment:

  1. maybe you could join them all together to make one big sample quilt. my favorite colors run in the blue to green but i've been working with lots of orangy colors lately. nice seeing some of your work.

    ReplyDelete