Monday, August 22, 2011

Realistic Clay Heads that Rattle - Student Work

These realistic head/rattles are a very scary project for my beginners in clay.  For many of them it's the first time they have ever dealt with realism and faces.  So I show them lots of slides of other student's works, I do a lecture where I break down the face into parts, and then draw what i'm talking about on the chalk board, and the kids diagram it on their handout sheets.  Then the next day I make a complete head for them, and when they shake it, it rattles as well.  The heads above were done about 3 years ago, so the names escape me.
But this crazy wonderful one belongs to senior Christine Castillo, and I adore it.  I especially love the way she glazed it with both oxides and glaze dots.
These next three were done by junior David Hyun, and seniors John Balagtas and Matthew Ramos.  Besides the head being as realistic as possible and rattling, I also required them to be expressive.  The bottom two were made by senior Christina Lee and junior Johanna Paz.   
And this last one was created by senior Joan Kim.
Fantastic job all of you.  I knew you could do it!

1 comment:

  1. amazing work. they must be thrilled that you post these on your blog.

    ReplyDelete