Thursday, August 5, 2010

Laguna Art Festival


This last Monday my son Zach and I made our yearly pilgrimage to the Main Art Festival in Laguna Beach. It did not disappoint. Outstanding ceramics, gorgeous paintings, crazy amazing metal sculpture, and the most beautifully designed jewelry were to be found. Granted, the prices are a bit high, cuz this is a juried show of the very best of the Laguna artists. If you want to spend a bit less, then go across the street to the Sawdust Festival, and if you really want a deal the The Art-A-Fair next to the Sawdust is the place to be.

This year I purchased 2 pieces by Laguna artist Bridget Hoff. I love her work and plan on using her pieces to teach with this coming year. She is a mixed media artist and collects plant life, twigs and rocks on her daily walk in San Juan Capistrano. Then she comes back to her studio in Laguna and paints, collages, resins and stitches thru the plant material. Then she layers all her finds until she has a pleasing composition.

What I really love about her work is how she combines found objects from nature with man-made found objects. I also love the layering but most of all the threads and stitching that seem to pull her pieces together.

The piece above was Zach's favorite so I bought it for him for when he has his first home. I'll take good care of it till then. LOL
For 10 points of EXTRA CREDIT to start the new school year off with, bring me your ticket stub from any of these 3 Art Festivals when you walk into my room on the first day of school.

No comments:

Post a Comment