Tuesday, August 31, 2010


I mentioned to my son Zach (the Plant Science Major) the other day, that I wanted to start composting so I'd have some awesome fertilizer for my plants. But I told him I didn't know how to get started. So he did some research and this is what he came up with. A simple plastic lidded container from Target for $4.99. I'll let you know in a couple of months if I'm in the composting business or not. LOL We started, up above, shredding newspapers and then dipping them in water and squeezing out the excess, and then lining the bottom of the bin with them. Zach had previously drilled holes all over the bin which allows oxygen in so the thing won't smell so bad. (Unfortunately it's also allowing in little annoying flies)

Zach had sent away for some worms (only $15 - what a deal!) that he then opened up from the bag they were mailed in (I was a bit nervous during this step and a let out a huge scream when he threw one of the worms on me - YUCK!!! It stuck on my leg!!!!!!) You can see all the holes he drilled in the shot above. He even had to drill them on the bottom and we have to place a pan underneath to catch I don't know what - again - Yuck!

And lastly, we feed the worms our table scraps, peels from fruit and vegies, just all kinds of nasty stuff. He hasn't given me a list yet of what I'm not supposed to give them. Anyways in a couple of months, the worms will have multiplied and eaten and pooped out wonderful fertilizer. Yeah, right, we'll have to see how it goes. I'll keep you updated. Bette, guess where I'm storing this thing? You guessed it, Jimmy's garage. Hee! Hee! He's such a good sport. :) If that isn't love than what is?

No comments:

Post a Comment