Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Irina Charney at Trios Gallery - Professional Artist


Two weekends ago on a glorious spring day my son and I set off for Solana Beach down San Diego way. My mission was to met Irina Charney and to see her amazing mosaic works in person at Trios Gallery where they were being showcased. This is an example of one of the many pieces she had on display there. I understand she lives nearby to us in Irvine, Ca. so I hope to one day visit her studio.

A close-up of one of Irina's pieces. Look at her amazing craftsmanship. Everything is so precisely laid out, and she uses a variety of glasses in her works which creates a little more dimension on her surfaces.

On our way home my son spotted a cacti and succulent nursery, so all of a sudden this boring trip with his mother was starting to look up. He is a plant science major (2nd year) at Cal Poly Pomona and he collects these plants so he was very excited to find a new nursery to browse thru. This one is called Solana Succulents and it's right on the coast highway running thru town on the beach side. It was a gorgeous day, not too hot or cold and we spent a good hour there looking at all the specimens. Of course we had to buy a few to take home with us :)

Here is my son Zach amongst all the cacti and succulents. He one day hopes to open his own nursery with orchids, carnivorous plants and cacti/succulents. I would love to be able to help him to make that dream come true, and maybe work there part time in my retirement. He is already starting to propagate his own plants and he's having a lot of luck with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment